Admiralty and Maritime Law
Our extensive practice involves all areas of admiralty and maritime law. We represent insurance companies, banks, lending institutions, finance companies, and marinas in connection with ship and yacht financing, preferred ship mortgages, arrest and foreclosure disputes, lien priority disputes, coverage disputes, and subrogation. Our experienced team of lawyers and paralegals can obtain vessel arrests and maritime attachments expeditiously.
We also litigate and arbitrate a broad range of admiralty and maritime claims, including charter party disputes, cargo claims, hull and machinery claims, maritime personal injury, and marine products liability claims. Our lawyers handle ocean marine and inland marine insurance claims, subrogation claims, and coverage disputes. Our Admiralty and Maritime Group is chaired by Greg Ligelis, a proctor in admiralty and an adjunct professor of admiralty and marine insurance law at the University of Connecticut School of Law.
We handle the investigation and defense of maritime pollution claims, including administration hearings and defense of environmental criminal proceedings.
Attorneys in our Admiralty and Maritime Group are members of the following:
- Maritime Lawyers Association
- American Bar Association, Tort and Insurance Practice Section, Property Law Committee
- American Boat Builders & Repairers Association
- National Association of Subrogation Professionals
- Defense Research Institute
- International Bar Association, Committee on Maritime Law and Transport
- Marine Finance Recreational Boating Committee
- National Marine Banking Association, Approved Admiralty Counsel
We also have attorneys who serve in the following capacities:
- Salvage Arbitrator for BoatU.S.
- Mediator for Maritime Disputes