Robinson & Cole's real estate practice is national in scope, encompassing the entire spectrum of real estate transactions, development, and financings. We represent clients in all sectors of the industry and have extensive experience in all fields of real estate practice. Clients include multinational corporations; institutional, public, and private lenders; retailers; state agencies; bonding authorities; schools; commercial and multifamily developers; health care institutions; hotel chains; and manufacturers.
In addition to our general real estate practice of project development, financing, conveyancing, and commercial leasing, Robinson & Cole has significant experience in tax-advantaged transactions, public/private ventures, waterfront development, municipal tax lien sales, affordable housing, sale-leaseback transactions, common interest communities, and telecommunications matters.
Robinson & Cole's real estate lawyers are active participants in national and local legal associations and real estate trade groups and are regular speakers and writers on real estate topics. We have assumed leadership roles in the American College of Real Estate Lawyers, the National Association of Corporate Real Estate Executives, the International Council of Shopping Centers, the National Association of Industrial and Office Properties, The Counselors of Real Estate, and the Real Estate Finance Association.
Nationally, our team of real estate lawyers regularly handle the following types of transactions and matters:
- Real estate finance on behalf of lenders and borrowers, including acquisition, development, and construction loans; permanent commercial mortgage loans; and mezzanine and conduit loans, as well as creditors' rights, workouts, restructuring of loans, and mortgage banking issues
- Leasing and subleasing on behalf of landlords and tenants of all asset classes, including office and retail space, warehouse and distribution facilities, restaurants, and industrial and manufacturing facilities; brokerage matters on behalf of landlords, tenants, and brokers, including commission and agency agreements and commission claims; and cable television and telecommunications licensing on behalf of landlords and tenants in commercial, industrial, and residential buildings
- Acquisitions and sales on behalf of purchasers and sellers of all asset classes, including vacant land, improved commercial and industrial properties, health care facilities, and multifamily housing complexes
- Development of commercial and industrial properties and multifamily housing complexes, including drafting and negotiating construction contracts on behalf of property owners, landlords, and tenants and handling zoning and land use matters, from the acquisition and planning phases through the operation of commercial, retail, industrial, master-planned residential, and mixed-use facilities
- Environmental matters, including brownfield development, due diligence reviews and negotiation of risk allocation and transfer mechanisms, green building and lease issues, and environmental cleanups