Robinson+Cole has a large and experienced litigation practice with considerable emphasis on work with financial institutions. We regularly represent financial institutions in connection with loan workouts, foreclosures and other mortgage disputes, regulatory violations, probate contests, government investigations and escrow disputes.
In addition to the areas of representation cited above, our financial institutions litigation practice covers other matters and disputes, including:
• Check and wire transfer fraud
• Predatory lending
• Lending fraud and defalcation
All of these types of claims take on added complexity and risk when asserted in the context of a class action. Our group members have extensive experience handling the difficult and unique challenges presented by class actions. In addition, we regularly partner with clients in appropriate instances to bring loss recovery actions.
Examples of matters we have litigated for our financial institution clients include:
• Successfully defended banking clients against lender liability claims in a multi-million dollar lending facilities including obtaining loan repayment and recovery of attorneys’ fees.
• Obtained dismissal of a regional bank from a multi-district class action for hundreds of millions of dollars in alleged Ponzi scheme.
• Successfully represented banks in litigation of foreclosures of multi-million dollar projects including defense of counterclaims for unfair trade practices, breach of contract, misrepresentation and civil rights violations.
• Successfully represented through summary judgment, trial and appeal publicly-traded national banks in various contested probate proceedings including recovery of seven figures from heirs for mismanaging and defrauding the estate of a developer borrower and defense of fiduciary duty claims against a banking client for seven figures in damages.
• Successfully prevent extortion by bank vendor threatening to publicly disclose customer account information by, in coordination with federal authorities conducting a “sting operation” resulting in individual’s arrest.
• Represented lenders in litigation, resolution, and recoupment of multimillion-dollar mortgage frauds, over-financing scams and defalcations.
• Extensively represented and counselled national and regional banks in connection with third party litigation obligations in federal and state courts, including court testimony, depositions, and document production
• Successfully litigated and resolved suits for banking clients involving the deposit and wire transfer of counterfeit cashier’s checks for hundreds of thousands of dollars each.