Health care providers and companies involved in the health care industry face unique legal and business risks. Keeping pace with the business and regulatory challenges of health care in today's competitive environment is more important than ever in this fast-changing age of health care reform.
Robinson+Cole's Health Law Group offers a dedicated team of litigation lawyers with a comprehensive understanding of health care-related litigation and disputes as well as of the health care industry in general. Our health litigation and administrative advocacy lawyers work with clients not only to achieve success in litigation but also to manage and reduce risk and meet our clients' business objectives. We represent health care entities in civil and criminal litigation, arbitration, administrative agency actions, and appeals.
Our Services and Our Team
The lawyers in our Health Law Group represent all types of clients in the health care industry, including the following:
• for-profit and nonprofit health care providers and hospital systems
• home health agencies
• nursing homes
• pharmaceutical manufacturers and retail pharmacies
• outpatient and imaging centers
• assisted living facilities
• human services agencies
We deal with all manner of litigation and regulatory matters, including in these areas:
• antitrust claims
• commercial and class action litigation
• commercial disputes
• class actions against health system clients
• state and federal government investigations
• reimbursement and recoupment actions by government payors and contracted auditors
• fraud, abuse, and whistleblower claims
• data breach regulatory investigations and litigation
• medical staff and credentialing disputes
• pharmaceutical market conduct litigation
In addition, Robinson+Cole lawyers handle state and federal civil and criminal health care investigations conducted by these entities:
• state lawyers
• general and Medicaid fraud units
• the U.S. Attorney's Office and the Department of Justice
• the Department of Health and Human Services, Office of Inspector General
• the Federal Bureau of Investigation
In representing the litigation and risk management needs of our health care clients, members of our Health Law Group appear in matters before state and federal courts, state Medicaid agencies, and state and federal regulatory and licensure agencies.
Handled and prevailed in individual and in consolidated reimbursement appeals cases before administrative law judges for the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, for national hospice provider.
Investigated and filed PSR (Stark law) and excluded individual self disclosures with CMS and the Office of Inspector General (OIG) on behalf of clients.
Negotiated settlements with the U.S. Department of Justice, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, and state Medicaid offices in termination and enrollment actions.
Advised on disclosures and settlements with the Health and Human Services (HHS) Office of Inspector General (OIG) in matters involving exclusions.
Obtained temporary restraining orders in federal court in hospital Medicare termination actions on behalf of national health care company with acute care and psychiatric hospitals.
Handled HIPAA investigations, and provided advice regarding potential HIPAA breaches, with the Office for Civil Rights (OCR) for hospitals, physician practices, and home care companies.
Negotiated favorable settlement of a criminal and civil action with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) on behalf of an international medical device manufacturer involving allegations of violations of Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP).