Robinson+Cole's tax lawyers have extensive experience in successfully assisting our clients in connection with the tax aspects of mergers, asset and stock sales and acquisitions, tender offers, recapitalizations, divestitures, spin-offs, and leveraged buyouts involving multinational corporations, partnerships, S corporations, and other legal entities. Our experience also includes public mergers and the related SEC disclosure issues, public-private transactions, and private transactions involving a variety of complicated U.S. federal, state, local, and foreign tax considerations. Our tax lawyers get involved at the inception of the transaction to ensure that it is structured in the most tax efficient manner for all parties involved, taking into account tax and nontax concerns.
Robinson+Cole's Tax Group has been recognized as a Tier One law firm in Tax Law in Hartford, Connecticut by U.S. News and World Report Best Law Firms since 2010. The Tax Group has also earned rankings in Tax Litigation in Hartford since 2011, earning a Tier Two ranking in 2016.
We regularly provide strategic planning advice and represent our clients in connection with the following types of matters:
- partnership tax issues (including for limited liability companies), such as structuring joint ventures (cross border and domestic), mergers and acquisitions,and structuring compensatory arrangements involving partnerships and limited liability companies.
- inbound and outbound investment and expansion, international joint ventures, and work with tax treaties and withholding rules
- public and private offerings of various types of debt and equity instruments, including convertible and exchangeable securities, stock and debt offerings with warrants or other securities, and preferred securities.
- merger and acquisition transactions, including opinions regarding reorganizations and spin-off transactions and advice regarding post-transaction separation of functions and tax sharing agreements
- capital market and derivative investments, including debt financing, structured finance, securities lending and repos
- buyouts of assets and distressed companies in the bankruptcy context, and unique tax planning concerns involving S corporations and closely held businesses
- structuring of nonregulated investment vehicles for tax-sensitive investors, such as tax exempt organizations and foreign persons
- private equity transactions, including leveraged and management buy-outs
- debt-equity swaps, recapitalizations and distressed loan transactions
- public and private real estate transactions
- assistance in preserving net operating losses and other tax attributes in connection with acquisition, reorganization and ownership-shift transactions